Wednesday 20 May 2009

A quilt for how much...!!!!!!!

I happened to visit a charity shop the other day and picked up this lovely dish for only £2.00, I think it's a very shallow fruit bowl, but I shall use it for fairy cakes.
But....today I found this quilt for only £7.99p, it's hand quilted and very pretty. I know it is one of those quilts sold for a lowish price in the shops, but not that low. I have washed it and it smells and looks wonderful. My Great Uncle who is well in his ninety's sent me £5 for my birthday so with a little added to it I bought this.
I am so pleased, I never usually find bargains but for once I did!

5 comments:

happyone said...

I collect Fiestaware and have a bowl shaped like that and it's called a comport bowl. I read that its an abbreviation of French comportier, variant of compotier dessert dish so your fairy cakes will be perfect for it. :-)

Wow, what a find - that quilt is beautiful!!

Janet said...

What a find! Both the bowl and the quilt. I love vintage pieces. Congrats.

Mary said...

Wow...what a great bargain! I love both the bowl and the quilt.

soggybottomflats said...

Hello, I found your blog by way of quiltcrazy. I have been sucked into blogland, lol! I love your blog. Your new dessert dish is so pretty and elegant. The new quilt looks like the ones I find that I consider "cuddle worthy", the kind grandma would have made. My grandmothers didn't quilt...wait, my maternal grandmother made some utility quilts that were made from wools, denim, overcoat fabrics and other heavy materials. They were tied. I get off course often, sorry. I also wanted to ask about your breathtaking dish next to your tea cozy (cosy) holding the cookies (biscuits). Is it Royal Winton? It nearly knocked me from my chair, so fairy tale like.
Thank you for sharing and allowing me to view your goodies. Have a wonderful week, Elaine from Texas, USA

Goosey said...

Hello Happyone, I looked up comport bowl on the web and I think you are right, thank you.
Janet and Mary , nice to see you comment and link to your sites,
and Soggybottom....great name that! I turned the plate over and it's made by J & G Meakin in England. I have had it a long time and it gets used alot, it was probably my Grandma's!