Saturday 14 March 2009

The Menopausal, Empty Nest Dish Cloth!

It has been noticed by various members of my family that when one of my children leaves home I enter a flurry of making things, so when my youngest son aged 16 joined the Royal Marines out came the knitting needles! Now I am not really a knitter so the dish cloth was a pretty easy thing for even a beginner like me to make and believe me dish cloths have been made thick and fast since he left. I gave them away to friends...did they want/need one?...I don't know but they were kind about it and just shook their heads gently!
They have become known as the menopausal, empty nest dish cloth, problem is I've now started on tea cosies, sort of funky ones that are shaped like pineapples and fields of sheep...but that's another story!

6 comments:

Tonje said...

I'm glad that I still have a few years ahead of me before my young ones leave the nest... but I'll keep in mind that knitting helps...lol... I'd love to see a picture of your fields of sheep tea cosies... sounds interesting!

the pig lady said...

Hello! thank you for visiting my blog, it's lovely to have you pop in. I too love knitting, I made far too many cupcake tea cosies last year just after we moved house, unpack a box or knit - tough decision!! I have just started to crochet, very addictive and I can heartily recommend it. Have a lovely weekend, Debs x

happyone said...

I love using knitting dish clothes. I've knitted plenty of them and gave them away too but I've kept a lot for myself too.

Goosey said...

Tonje; I will show you the field of sheep teacosy soon, I know, the suspense is killing you!
Debs; Now a tea cosy cup cake is one I haven't tried, sounds like a must.
Happyone; I do admit that they work better than the bought dish cloths so I think you are very sensible.

Joshy and belle said...

Hello
Thank you for your lovely comment on my blog, yes I was meant to be sticking to lent too but just had a little hiccup with the hot chocolate and cake there!!

I love your dish cloth, I'm quite in to knitting tea cosies right now!!
Felicity xx

Anonymous said...

Oh man, I can identify with you here! I ended up painting the living room and making new cushion covers, curtains, etc when my daughter left for college last year. My son starts college this year but mercifully is going to travel in and out to start with! Otherwise, the DIY stuff will have to come out again!

Love knitting too, it's so soothing. :) Oh and I love your sheepie teacosy!