Sunday 5 July 2009

Harris Tweed and Hebridean holiday.

I have just returned from 2 weeks holiday, the first of which was on the wonderful Isle of Harris which is part of the Outer Hebrides. (If you are interested click here onto my other blog and you will see how beautiful it is) All these tweeds are made in peoples cottages (or Crofts as they are known there) and by hand on a loom. It's quite expensive to buy but I did buy half a yard and some offcuts too. The sheep that provide the wool are on every hillside, road and any bit of grass, they are very hardy as the life is very tough up there.
Most of the colours are earthy and the fabric is very warm and quite thick. Very expensive jackets are sold in London made from Harris Tweed and they are much sought after.




This wallhanging was in the ferry waiting room and is made from Harris Tweed and is of the landscape. I have other stuff that I took pictures of when I was there which I will put on the blog another time.

4 comments:

Janet said...

Very interesting trip. Right up "our" alley as sewers. I have woven on a loom at various times and I have a great respect for those who do. Your photo reminds me of my trip to Pendleton Mills in Washington.

happyone said...

Oh that material looks wonderfully warm and cozy.

Mary said...

wow...what a neat place to visit and I like their little wall hanging. Will look forward to seeing what you make with yours :-)

JuliaB said...

Wow! that tweed is amazing! More so because you know the history and if you wanted, could probably trace it back to the sheep it came from! x