Tuesday 7 July 2009

Highland Stoneware and Kaffe Fassett

When we visited the Highland Stoneware pottery in Lochinver I knew it was going to be good as soon as I saw this wall on the way in! It's all made up of broken bits of pottery that are no use for anything else. I'd love a wall like this round our house, sadly D is not convinced..

There are brilliant mosaics all round the building and already I was thinking it was like a Kaffe Fassett design, when I saw the bit in the picture below with his and Brandon Mably's signatures on it!
They have used all bits of stoneware, even the backs and teapot spouts, handles and lids.

These rocks were covered too, you need to click on the picture to see it in all it's glory!

Even a car in the car park, all done in broken pottery.

This settee was huge and they are making an armchair next to it at the moment. D gamely stood next to it to show how big it is...doesn't look very happy about it does he! He's not very into pottery!
Of course I came out with a couple of bits which I will put here another time and have informed my family that it's OK if they happen to drop any china and break it...just put it in the designated box for my mosaic collection!














9 comments:

happyone said...

I've seen table tops that were made out of broken pottery pieces but this is taking it to new level. I think it's way cool!!
I can't help but wonder what you will make!

happyone said...

It's me again. Tried to click on Highland but got a not found. Looked at the url. There is an extra
blogger.com/www
in the address. I left that out and it worked.
Just thought you would like to know.

Goosey said...

Thank you Happyone, I think I have sorted it out now! I think I would like to do a garden wall with a design on it, but I have to break alot of crockery before I do it! Maybe I should ask charity shops for their stuff they throw out because of damage?

Janet said...

I want to visit this place! You might remember my connection to the American Museum of Ceramic Art directed by my sister. My sister and I traveled to Penland School of Crafts in North Carolina where they also have a mosaic wall of broken ceramic projects.

Mary said...

Wow...these are incredible! Simply amazing. Apparently there are places that will make things like this for you from broken bits of china. My sister has a little church that is covered with bits from a favorite broken piece. I've never seen anything like this before done with china...that car is really amazing, but I like the walls and thigs best :-)

JuliaB said...

Gosh! It looks like you have had a very inspirational holiday. That wall is amazing. I have a wall in my garden that I'd like to do this with but haven't quite got round to it yet. So many things to do! Maybe next year when we move the shed and revamp the patio (where the shed is) .. Inspiration indeed. xx

Sew Create It - Jane said...

That looks amazing! Some people are so creative!

Eilleen said...

oh they're amazing! I really like the rocks too. What great feature sculptures!

Anna said...

How unusual! I've never seen anything quite like this display. Of course...I've not yet been to Scotland either.

Hmmm. I'll have to change that someday!